Client: Clonard Monastery Redemptorists
Phase 1 restoration of the 1911 French Gothic style Grade B+ Listed Church, was completed in 2008. Works involved the repair and replacement of the roof structure and fabric. This included stripping the roof structure completely, repair and replacement of roof timbers following treatment for rot and fixing of new and salvaged natural slates.
Replacement lead flashing was installed with new cast aluminium guttering and downpipe along with a new fall restraint system. The metal finial was removed, restored and refitted and new lightning protection installed.
In 2011 we successfully tendered and were appointed to undertake Phase 2 - restoration and refurbishment of the building internally. All existing pews and kneelers were removed and restored by local craftsmen. Floor finishes were removed and disposed, substructure excavated to provide a new solid base with damp proof course and a tiled finish to the main body of the church. Walls were carefully stripped and plastered with all mosaics and stonework restored to their original quality. The ceilings were hand decorated by a local artist to restore finishes to the highest level of detail and specification. M&E services were upgraded to install new heating, lighting, PA system, induction loop, smoke detection and CCTV. External works involved the provision of new drainage system, landscaping, granite paving and planters and asphalt road surfacing to form a new car park.